the guys all like
it here all they
do is wish for
coffee and here
it comes pulling
two nice full cups
of freshly perked
a cream uniform
and a sugar smile.
*First published in The Underwood Review
eat breathe and
defecate Sun Tzu
meanwhile the queen
plows through romance
all her suitors
*First published in Nedge
Where did that book go? Elsewhere, out, away,
dragging you in. And I tell you I'm glad
you're a contraction. Only one chapter
of the mystery now remains for you
to leave at my door, the one about the...
Yesterday it was a corpse in a copse,
then it got dead quiet: blue leaves sparkling
like an MRI of the author's bliss.
The light's gone weird
at midday, in midsummer:
those green pomegranates
might have been painted
on the branch that bends
to set down the wine-
red ones, concerned mother
captured in stop-action;
a single leaf scuttles
across the grass, yellow
crab on a green beach;
an elm has shot straight up
from the ground and burst
into a display of leaves...
Autumn must be calling:
long-distance to be sure
but as sure as gravity,
will brown and bring down
to a gone-brown beach
a murder of crabs fleeing
the wind, seeking safety
in each other's claws.
*First published in freefall
Fourteen Love Projects
1. the ball cap of the world keeps sliding over my eyes
2. Victoria has a very proper name
3. my fingers listen to her in ten different tongues
4. I shall now predict project #5 in a prayer to aliens
5. the prayer comes false. c'est la vie, Homo sapiens!
6. ready neither to play ball nor to quench my eyes' thirst
7. her smile is like a simile
8. next to her, my toes are clenched and breathless
9. the proper name for my tongue's place is Victoria
10. the wet concrete of love flows towards the abstract...
11. now tell me why you killed Victoria
12. because she reversed her usual associative qualities?
13. she could be as abrupt as the buzzer on a game show
14. I sought victory...and I am Victoria's
*First published in Illuminations