Thursday, February 1, 2007

About Acting - Mette Marckmann

In the premiere issue I introduced you to a long-time friend from Denmark. Now, I’d like to introduce you to his sister, a well-known actress who has been kind enough to tell you about her career and what she finds rewarding about it. We met during the summer of ‘85. I was on my way back to Germany after having finished a photograph exhibition at Mosegard Museum in Arhus. Peter had suggested that I stop and meet his parents who lived right on the train route back to the German border. Peter’s father, by then retired from his medical practice, met me at the train station and drove me to their comfortable home near a watery enclave. Mette was still living at home and agreed to let me take some portrait shots of her at a lovely spot on a sandy beach within walking distance of the house. As I took the pictures, she told me of her dream of becoming a actress, of breaking the mold of following in both her father’s and grandfather’s footsteps by becoming a doctor. And that’s exactly what she did and here’s her story, in her own words:

An actress in Denmark! That’s what I am. I’ve been working as an actress, mostly on the stage, for 15 years now, learning that if you want to survive in this business you have to be able to be: a good theatre/film/TV-actress, a writer, a director, a producer, a speaker, a cartoon-dubber, a dancer, a singer, a teacher, a politician and much, much more. I graduated from the Danish national Theatre School in 1992 after 4 years education. Then, slowly at first, I went through what I call my “free-lance” period in order to get my real education. Now, I do cabaret shows in the summer and more serious Danish drama in the winter along with voice-overs for commercials and cartoons. My career includes a lot of things. Find out more about me and the members of my fellow troupe of improvisation actors at: www.tripleplay.dk. My website is: www.mettemarckmann.dk. Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers…Mette

No comments: